Author Topic: Program Participant Survey / Parent Survey  (Read 6985 times)

Offline chaking

• View Profile
Program Participant Survey / Parent Survey
« on: July 17, 2006, 07:37:27 PM »
Please see http://http://tbfight.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=70 to participate in a scientific survey from the Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute @ the University of South Florida.

Cafety.org will also be linking to this survey shortly - -

FYI (for disclosure purposes)
** It should be noted that I, Charles King (tbfight), and Katherine Whitehead (cafety.org) are both on the research team at the Louis de
la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute, which is conducting this survey. ***
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 07:57:12 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 07:51:47 PM »
C'mon guys, haven't you learned from Lon Woodbury's horrible ownage that the Internet is simply not the place to get unbiased survey results? Self-selection, basic dishonesty, and complete lack of verification will make a mockery out of it.

I could vote, and I don't meet the criteria.
So could all of Fornits.
So could the programmies, under multiple proxies.

Don't you understand that this is less than a joke?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline chaking

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 08:07:56 PM »
Lon Woodbury's polls were/are not in the same league as this one. We are not talking about a typical website's poll.
If you want to be pessimistic about the outcome, that's fine, but please don't try and dissuade people from taking part in this important research.
As far as the legitimacy of internet based polls/surveys, see:
http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue ... index.html
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi- ... 1&SRETRY=0
http://pareonline.net/getvn.asp?v=7&n=19
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/b ... 1/art00254
and many more which you can find if you care to look...

Btw: Nobody "votes" in this survey...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 10:59:17 PM »
Luke/Paul is gonna be hella bummed by not being able to vote.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 02:57:36 AM »
Its a bunch of bs...went there and looked.  
Read their objectives:  they are looking for infor to make the programs more saleable.    As a parent I would participate in a real survey whose intentions were to actually discover and report the experiences and reasons why these places should be closed down.  This piece of crap survey wants to suck  you in so they can fine tune the programs and sales pitches.  Into the round cyberfile cabinet it goes :roll:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 03:00:56 AM »
"Important research"  Well it depends on how you defind "important" as in important for whom.  It is important for the pushers of the programs but not for those of us who support shutting them all down.  Load of crap ::deal::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 03:45:48 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
"Important research"  Well it depends on how you defind "important" as in important for whom.  It is important for the pushers of the programs but not for those of us who support shutting them all down.  Load of crap ::deal::

http://cafety.org/index.php?option=com_ ... iew&id=308

Yee Haw!!!!  Finally, hot damn!  Can't wait for the data come out!  Your right, this is imporant reseach, without data we are left doing nuthn but talking on fornits back and forth about this issue.

thank god we will have something more than anecdotes and can finally DO something based on firm research.  YAY!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl:    :lol:     :tup:  

Here's to progress, doesnt it feel like its coming finally?  breath of fresh air

::cheers::  

to everyone working so hard on addressing this issue:
:nworthy:

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 04:39:10 AM »
Quote from: ""Milk Gargling Death Penal""
C'mon guys, haven't you learned from Lon Woodbury's horrible ownage that the Internet is simply not the place to get unbiased survey results? Self-selection, basic dishonesty, and complete lack of verification will make a mockery out of it.

I could vote, and I don't meet the criteria.
So could all of Fornits.
So could the programmies, under multiple proxies.

Don't you understand that this is less than a joke?

:o

Well, I would imagine that someone would have already thought of that issue and figured out a way to fix this.  As Charles mentioned, this isn't some po'dunk poll.   :o
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 08:26:31 PM by Guest »
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline chaking

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 02:25:57 PM »
I suppose I don't know who is actually making these comments, and so I might be working myself up over nothing. But its quite irritating to see the response of these few people, considering the amount of time certain other people are putting into actually working the steps to get regulation at these facilities.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 03:11:32 PM »
There is a large faction of program survivors who believe program regulation is worse as doing nothing, and cite the florida boys murder for example. Not taking sides, just trying to let you know what you're up against. I'll go take a look at the survey, see if I can help.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 03:24:58 PM »
Regulation worse than doing nothing?
I could debate that one all night...
For example: the example you used of the boy's death. Is that program still in operation?

Offline chaking

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 03:32:34 PM »
I should expand:
My view is that all facilites need to have someone looking after them (someone to hold them accountable -in program speak)... Now we can go on and on about how well they are watched and by whom... But that is an entirely separate issue.  When it comes down to it, I believe, they need someone there watching.
Also, I did not speak accurately when I said it was merely for regulation. This is a beginners step in awareness and fact instead of hearsay.

I know you said you aren't taking sides, so please don't feel this comment is intended solely for you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 03:38:43 PM »
Again, not taking sides, but I could make the argument that regulation in Montana, for programs like Spring Creek Lodge, are a total sham. So, since 'regulation' in place, parents take more comfort and trust them more and more placements result, when in reality nothing has changed. In fact, it might have gotten worse, because the regulatory board comprises two 'citizens' and three reps from the industry (ie owners of programs).
Personally I don't really know, and don't really argue for either side. But, like I said, it seems the regulation thing can be used for bad just as easily as good.

Offline chaking

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 04:17:12 PM »
I completely understand that point; Though, as I pointed out earlier, that is not necessarily an argument against regulation, moreover an argument against the quality of the regulation -- which I believe is a separate issue, and possibly one that can be addressed within the regulatory statutes.

Again to use the example pointed out -- SCL -- Look at SCL compared to TB, or High Impact, or Dundee or the American Samoa one. All of them are in the same organization, and all have closely related owners.  They also pretty much go by the same handbook -- Yet if you ask any kid who has been to both SCL and one of the other ones, which one they would prefer -- I guarantee 9/10 say SCL.  Granted, SCL has many problems! I'm not excusing SCL at all, I'm just saying that even crappy regulation starts something; gives people a beginning to get something accomplished at; and does make the program a bit more self-conscious of its actions.

It is true that it might make some parents feel as if the program is under more meaningful oversight -- My hope, though, is that if a parent looks into it enough to study the regulation, hopefully they will come across the plethora of information concerning the negative aspects of SCL et al.  And I also do not think it has been shown that there is an increase in students when a facility is regulated as opposed to unregulated facilities. So I don't think the argument is really founded in anything other than mere speculation at this point.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 05:07:04 PM »
Again to use the example pointed out -- SCL -- Look at SCL compared to TB, or High Impact, or Dundee or the American Samoa one.

These are also the only programs to come under international media scrutiny, and succesfully be shut down. No regulation was necessary to accomplish that. Would 'regulating' high impact have been better than it's complete removal?

All of them are in the same organization, and all have closely related owners. They also pretty much go by the same handbook

Yeah but their employee pool comes from two different worlds. Americans are aware enough to fear criminal prosecution of child abuse. Third worlders without a fear of this commit abuse much more openly. It's hard to compare which facility is worse, both have caused young girls to kill themsleves, so who are we to say?

Yet if you ask any kid who has been to both SCL and one of the other ones, which one they would prefer -- I guarantee 9/10 say SCL.

There are kids who weren't ever treated bad at TB or Samoa. Some were horribly abused. There are kids who were severely beaten and kept locked up in freezing isolation conditions at SCL. Others weren't touched. Some kids were abused, others weren't. At both facilities.
Like you said, they are owned by the same place. A lot of kids are transfered from SCL to TB and High Impact, so if SCL is regulated, but can tranfer kids to the unregulated facilities, how is this regulation effective at all?

Granted, SCL has many problems! I'm not excusing SCL at all, I'm just saying that even crappy regulation starts something; gives people a beginning to get something accomplished at; and does make the program a bit more self-conscious of its actions.

The regulation is completely non existent. They outvote the 'public' every time. Do you think that stacked vote was an accident? The only thing regulation in this case accomplishes is gives a selling point to the programs. Now they can advertise to be a 'regulated' residential program, etc.

It is true that it might make some parents feel as if the program is under more meaningful oversight -- My hope, though, is that if a parent looks into it enough to study the regulation, hopefully they will come across the plethora of information concerning the negative aspects of SCL et al.

Me too! I wish the parents did the research, but they don't. If they did, they wouldn't have chosen a WWASPS program. Hell, strugglingteens regulars don't even reccomend WWASPS! So, if anything the only thing 'regulation' would do, is give a semblence of credibility to which WWASPS has to say. Again, it works against hte parents, IF the so called regulation is rigged like in Montana.

And I also do not think it has been shown that there is an increase in students when a facility is regulated as opposed to unregulated facilities. So I don't think the argument is really founded in anything other than mere speculation at this point.

Well, there aren't any statistics on anything in this industry. But ask a few program parents, they are presented with two programs, one is 'regulated with state oversight for the well being of the kids' the other is 'unregulated', which one do you think appeals more to them?

Again, I am not taking a firm stance against or for regulation. But I do know the sham in Montana is complete BS, and that is what I am afraid of.